[ ] keep Java 1.5 compatibility: no good reason to upgrade.
[ ] upgrade to Java 1.6: one step at a time.
[X ] upgrade to Java 1.7: new features are more important.

-----Original Message-----
From: Oleg Kalnichevski [mailto:ol...@apache.org]
Sent: Monday, September 16, 2013 8:03 AM
To: httpclient-users@hc.apache.org
Subject: [POLL] Minimal JRE level as of HttpClient 4.4

Folks,

Java 1.5 compatibility has become increasing difficult to maintain and
increasing pointless on top of that. We, as a project, have been thinking about
upgrading minimal JRE level requirement for the HttpClient 4.4 branch to
something newer. While Java 1.6 might be a reasonable and a conservative choice
in terms of stability and adoption, it actually brings little in terms of new
features we could make use of in HttpClient. Besides, Java 1.6 is officially
end of life. So, we might as well consider upgrading to Java 1.7 which would
give us NIO2, full support for 'try with resources', and probably some other
features.

Please let us know what you think and respond to this poll.

All users of HttpClient are encouraged to participate. Every vote will count.