Its looks like the first GET is challenged and the credentials are provided
but when executing the second GET the authentication is requested for a
different realm but because the AuthState already had credentials they were
used.

The member targetAuthState in DefaultRequestDirector holds the old
credentials and although the realm changed they were not invalidated.