Thank you Oleg - very interesting.  The only information that I see in the
JavaDoc is:
        When a particular component is not explicitly this class will use its
default
        implementation. System properties will be taken into account when
configuring
        the default implementations when useSystemProperties() method is called
prior
        to calling build().

When I read that it would imply that anything not "customized" will
fallback to the same value as provided by HttpClients.createDefault().
Obviously, I was dead flat wrong in how I interpreted the documentation.

 Which of the following also lose their default behavior after going down
the custom path?
        setConnectionBackoffStrategy(ConnectionBackoffStrategy
connectionBackoffStrategy)
        setConnectionReuseStrategy(ConnectionReuseStrategy reuseStrategy)
        setDefaultAuthSchemeRegistry(Lookup<AuthSchemeProvider>
authSchemeRegistry)
        setDefaultConnectionConfig(ConnectionConfig config)
        setDefaultCookieSpecRegistry(Lookup<CookieSpecProvider>
cookieSpecRegistry)
        setDefaultCookieStore(CookieStore cookieStore)
        setDefaultHeaders(Collection<? extends Header> defaultHeaders)
        setDefaultSocketConfig(SocketConfig config)
        setHttpProcessor(HttpProcessor httpprocessor)
        setKeepAliveStrategy(ConnectionKeepAliveStrategy keepAliveStrategy)
        setProxy(HttpHost proxy)
        setProxyAuthenticationStrategy(AuthenticationStrategy proxyAuthStrategy)
        setRedirectStrategy(RedirectStrategy redirectStrategy)
        setRequestExecutor(HttpRequestExecutor requestExec)
        setRetryHandler(HttpRequestRetryHandler retryHandler)
        setRoutePlanner(HttpRoutePlanner routePlanner)
        setSchemePortResolver(SchemePortResolver schemePortResolver)
        setServiceUnavailableRetryStrategy(ServiceUnavailableRetryStrategy
serviceUnavailStrategy)
        setSSLSocketFactory(LayeredConnectionSocketFactory sslSocketFactory)
        setTargetAuthenticationStrategy(AuthenticationStrategy
targetAuthStrategy)
        setUserAgent(String userAgent)
        setUserTokenHandler(UserTokenHandler userTokenHandler)

Just want to make sure all bases are covered in our system framework.

--
Pete Keyes

Starbucks Coffee Co.
w: 206.318.5933