From: Bhowmik, Bindul [mailto:bindulbhow...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2017 11:31 AM
To: HttpClient User Discussion <httpclient-users@hc.apache.org>
Subject: Re: https digest request failing with security exception

Dave,

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 11:21 AM, David Thielen <da...@windward.net> wrote:
> I have some simple code that does what I think is a correct & basic request
> to read the url https://httpbin.org/digest-auth/auth/user/passwd
>
> Reading that url in a browser works fine. But the code throws:
> Exception in thread "main" javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException:
> sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find
> valid certification path to requested target at
> sun.security.ssl.Alerts.getSSLException
>
> I have the code and full exception stack at
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/43146218/https-digest-request-failing-with-security-exception
>  (not repeated here to keep this email short).
>
> Any ideas?

httpbin.org uses SSL cert from Let's Encrypt, and you are most likely
hitting an issue with your JRE missing their CA certs. See
https://community.letsencrypt.org/t/certificate-error-sun-security-validator-validatorexception-pkix-path-building-failed-sun-security-provider-certpath-suncertpathbuilderexception-unable-to-find-valid-certification-path-to-requested-target/28283

> Thanks - dave

- Bindul