I temporarily changed the pattern generation in ProjectionGridTool.cpp
to a fixed pattern:

    for (int x = 0 ; x < width ; x++)
    {
        for (int y = 0 ; y < height ; y++)
        {
            // red
            pix_start[0] = x%255;
            // green
            pix_start[1] = x%255;
            // blue
            pix_start[2] = x%255;
            // transparency
            pix_start[3] = 255;
            // point to the next pixel
            pix_start += 4;
        }
    }

and looked at it again.  The texture is an equirectangular (2W=H).  This
time it displays well on the sphere but not on the flat images (see
bleeding of the background color on the top, right, bottom edges in the
attached screenshot).  Also, when loading an equirectangular image it
shows well in the preview but displays the gap in the overview.

** Attachment added: "solid_lines.png"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/hugin/+bug/804800/+attachment/2215013/+files/solid_lines.png

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Hugin
Developers, which is subscribed to Hugin.

Title:
  Precision of grid representation on panosphere overview

Status in Hugin - Panorama Tools GUI:
  New

Bug description:
  In the fast preview a grid maps visually the flat preview to the
  panosphere overview.  To my understanding, the grid is a perfect
  equirectangular image (2*width=height) and is mapped on the sphere.
  However the mapped representation leaves a gap at the 360° and at
  zenith/nadir - see the "C" shaped gap in the attached screenshot.

  This is on Kubuntu 11.04 with Intel video.  Is this anomaly visible
  also on other systems / opengl video drivers?