Hi all,

I've been working in the past couple of weeks to help Robin Mills with
the Windows build of the latest Exiv2-0.18pre1.

In the short term, I hoped this would solve the issue with the EXIF data
from the Olympus JPEG. Unfortunately it does not. The focal length is
read correctly, but the focal length multiplier is missing, both in
Windows and Ubuntu. The issue is now placed with Andreas Huggel and
Robin Mills and if it is an Exiv2 issue, it will be solved sooner or later.

In the long term, as Exiv2 moves forward, there are very interesting
features for us.

Forewarded message from Andreas Huggel:
 > RAW images may contain several (I've seen up to three) preview images
 > in addition to the main image in different sizes and usually in JPEG
 > or TIFF format.
 >
 > Applications can use these to very quickly display a thumbnail or
 > lower resolution preview of the actual picture (which is typically
 > large and may require decoding before it can be displayed).
 >
 > For the 0.18 release, Vladimir Nadvornik has contributed new Exiv2
 > functionality to easily access a list of available preview images as
 > well as the actual preview images from the metadata of the image
 > (Exif, IPTC or XMP). It works roughly like this:
 >
 >     Exiv2::Image::AutoPtr image = Exiv2::ImageFactory::open(filename);
 >     image->readMetadata();
 >
 >     Exiv2::PreviewManager loader(*image);
 >     Exiv2::PreviewPropertiesList list = loader.getPreviewProperties();
 >     // The list is sorted by the size (in pixels) of the previews,
 >     // starting with the smallest preview.
 >
 >     // Choose one of the previews from the list ...
 >     Exiv2::PreviewImage preview = loader.getPreviewImage(*pos);
 >
 >     // PreviewImage has methods to access the preview image data
 >
 > The feature is in the SVN trunk (preview.hpp) and works well enough
 > that you can try it out and let us know what you think of it now.

I suspect that the preview JPEGs are more than enough for CP detection,
hence it would be possible to extract them from the RAW files and set up
the stitching project without going through the slower RAW conversion.
RAW conversion would be postponed to the rendering process, which could
be batched. Just add a Makefile rule for dcraw or whatever raw converter
is used.

It is not RAW stitching yet, but maybe an initial step into it? the
separation of the project setup process from the rendering process. A
fast (ideally real time), human / GUI driven project setup process,
followed by a batched (and thus geared toward accuracy and quality, not
speed) rendering process.

thoughts?
Yuv