On Dec 14, 5:01 pm, Erik Krause <erik.kra...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Bart.van.Andel wrote:
> > Well, I have an example here which consists of two images with almost
> > 50 percent overlap. The source resolution is 2576 pixels wide, and
> > Hugin suggests an optimum of 5055 pixels (rectilinear projection).
> > Although it need a little cropping, this resolution is too wide to
> > prevent pixels from being upscaled.
>
> This depends on the angle of view. Rectilinear output is same resolution
> only in the image center and needs to be stretched outside. Only if you
> restrict output hFoV to the hFoV of a single input image you can compare
> the values.

The case you describe is a pretty obvious case. A single picture taken
with a "rectilinear lens" will remain the same when using a
rectilinear projection. My point is, how does Hugin determine this
estimate for a multiple image panorama? To give Ralf a nice answer as
to why the estimate wasn't correct, this would really help (together
with the other information I requested).

Ralf, maybe you could upload your source images (jpg will do) and .pto
somewhere?