Hello Erik,
I took me quite a lot of time to decide if I should write there
because I feel I'm still new in Hugin/Panotools community. OK, now to
the topic:

I think these changes have more culprits than pros. What I think is:
1. these changes doesn't reflect purpose of these pages. In my opinion
user pages should serve only as personal presentation ie it contains
something like "My name is John Doe. I'm programmer's god and I hate
spinach" but nothing else. If I searched for GSoC project in the wiki,
the last place where I would search would be user pages. But If there
was someone who used the proposal page for personal info, it would be
meaningful to move this info to his/her user page.
2. the redirection is confusing. I clicked on link and I was
redirected to some personal page! What the heck?

Only pro which I can see there is that user page is editable only by
it's owner (the user himself/herself) so no one can interfere with
his/her work. But thanks to history of all wikipages it's quite easy
to achieve this even on "usual" pages. Also this may turn to be a big
con after the GSoC when the student may disappear and no one can fix
problems in this page (for example mark it as outdated or whatever
else).

Best regards,
Lukáš "stativ" Jirkovský