On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 6:05 PM, James Legg <lankyle...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 11:33 -0500, Gerry Patterson wrote:
>
> > Would it make sense to be allow control of the blending and fusing
> > order for the output.  When I was looking at this earlier, there were
> > two areas that needed to know about the model you are discussing:
> > optimization, and then later, output.    Although, perhaps it only
> > makes sense to have one order to stitch and then fuse for each type of
> > model.  I haven't come up with enough use cases.  I guess I am asking
> > if you are planning changes to the stitcher tab as well.
>
> I do plan to change the output options on the stitcher tab, and makefile
> generation.
>
> It is likely that each type of model has a most ideal stitch / fuse
> order, so perhaps it doesn't make sense to present the choices on the
> stitcher tab.
>
> I was planning a layout tab, for describing the set of pictures taken;
> and the stitcher tab is for picking what pictures are wanted. Perhaps
> only the plausible options will be shown on the stitcher tab, depending
> on what was is specified in the layout tab. There would still be choice
> as to what immediate files to keep and, if using exposure stacks, should
> we blend them with enfuse or merge them to make an HDR image.
>
> I remember complaints when the blended panorama option greyed out when
> stacks were detected, as it would often trigger on LDR panos with large
> overlaps. The user response might be different if there is a way to say
> "I don't have stacks!".

Yes, I remember that well.  It was I that added that "feature" in response
to users stacking images on top of each other and then calling for a blended
panorama output.  Enblend would fail with two images stacked on top of each
other causing the rest of the stitch to fail.  Bruno, Pablo and I discussed
this and thought it would be a good idea to restrict the output options if
stacks were detected.  Unfortunately, we didn't consider enough use cases.
So the feature was disabled.

> Perhaps we could allow the user to set up their own processing chain if
> they want? The user could specify targets with the following bits of
> information:
>     1. Which command to run, with command line arguments, substituting
>        %o for output file, and %i for input files.
>     2. What input type the command takes (images, remapped images, hdr
>        images, the project file, ...)
>     3. How to partition that input type into a subset for each run (run
>        once with every image, once for each stack, once for each
>        row, ...)
>     4. What to call the output file(s), substituting %n for a number if
>        using subsets.
>     5. What to call the type of output in the GUI, so a different
>        target can use one in step 2.
> Several of these can be set up, and used to write the makefile. The
> default targets could also be internally represented in this way, but
> only shown to the user when making non-standard processing chains.

I had a mind map (http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page)
that I had e-mailed to Yuval which described output chains with respect to
bracketed exposures.  It was an idea I had months ago, but never got around
to testing out.   I'll e-mail to you if you would like to look at it.

> Ideas are what I need at the moment. Perhaps when this thread has more
> helpful. :-)

I can try.  It would probably be a good idea to get a page started or
appended soon.  I'll have to check about getting an account on the wiki.

- Gerry