I see 2 things:
- optimizing Hugin ie optimizing the users GUI experience
- optimizing the tools used by Hugin, ie optimizing the creation of the
panorama after clicking the "Stitch" button or launching a task, optimizing
the CP creations, ...
Actually I guess Hugin is mostly a shell that controls tools, so most of the
optimization could be done by optimizing those tools.

I usually stitch 2-3 pictures, or 6-7-8 pictures if I want a (almost)
360-180° using my fisheye, and I run each project one at a time. So
eventually I usually wait for the pano to be created, so to me if the
stitching process took 30s instead of 5 or 10 minutes, it would be great.
>From the GUI point of view, what takes me some time is loading the pictures
and automatically finding the CP. I usually don't do much, except modify
some CP if the preview shows some big errors.

2009/7/9 Ryan Sleevi <ryan+hu...@sleevi.com <ryan%2bhu...@sleevi.com>>

> The hugin executable can be optimized for the more intensive tasks, which I
> agree with you in that it's probably:
>        - Optimization

Maybe it's indeed needed for huge projects, but for my small ones it's
usually just fast.

>        - CP editing/fine tuning

I don't feel like editing / fine tuning is that slow. I don't know whether
there's a "fine tune all CPs", but if it does exist then some optimization
might be good, as even on small projects you easily have at least 20 CP.

>        - Preview (Fast and regular, although regular is less of a concern
> now that fast preview is in)

Indeed. I haven't checked the fast preview though, but I guess it's fast.

>        - Celeste (I haven't dug too far into this, but I understand it's
> both linked as a lib and standalone. Sound correct?)

If it's an external tool, then we should "just" optimize it, not within
Hugin.

>        - To a lesser degree, some of the basic imaging code for
> caching/scaling the images.

If it takes time when you click a button in Hugin (eg when loading the
images), then it should be optimized, as it would enhance the user's
experience.