Zoran Zorkic wrote:
> I saw it go up to 8500mb for my last pano (47000x12000, 75x13mp) so if
> you have less it will take ages while it swaps.
>
> Though I'd be very much interested in a way to speed up or optimize
> the process.

The problem is that writing this kind of image processing software
is quite hard.

In order to simplify matters, coders assume that image data
can be stored contiguously, and accessed using simple x-y addressing;
the image-processing problems are real enough that adding other
concerns may simply make a coder's head explode.

There *are* more swap-friendly techniques, involving swappable sub tiles)
that most GUI paint packages (and, notably, VIPS), use.

But in many cases, since users "on the bleeding edge" are moderately happy
to buy HUGE banks of ram, the code stays swap-unfriendly, for perfectly
defensible reasons.

   BugBear