I have been using hugin for only a short time, so please bear with my
novice question.

Can hugin stitch together "Then and Now" photos?  By "Then and Now," I
mean pairs of photographs, one historical and one contemporary, of the
identical scene.  For example, see this site:

http://acidcow.com/pics/3772-normandy_1944_then_and_now_204_pics.html

By stitching together such photos in an artful way, one can achieve a
dramatic effect.  Here is an example (I do not believe it was created
with hugin):

http://inlinethumb60.webshots.com/29243/2875620910103830173S600x600Q85.jpg

This example stitches right down the middle of the scene.  While this
might be OK for this scene, you generally want greater control over
where the stitching is done.  For example, you might want to trace out
a zig-zag line where the stitching is to be done.

I realize the result is not strictly a "panorama," but it poses many
of the same technical problems that hugin already solves when making
panoramas.  The only thing that I cannot figure out how to do is to
control where hugin does the stitching.

Can hugin do it?