Hi Ryan and other Windows developers

I'm moving this piece of information to the main mailing list.

Ryan Sleevi wrote:
> [...]

Thanks, Ryan - this did the trick.

I was going to add this bit of information, as well as document the lack
of OpenMP support in the Express Editions of MSVC, to the page
documenting the [Hugin SDK].

Then I realized that I was going to raise a conflict again: There is a
major inconsistency in the document which stems from the definition of
"Hugin SDK".

When writing up the document, Guido defined "Hugin SDK" as the "minimal
stable binaries and headers needed to build and run Hugin".

To me it must be more than that. And to Ryan obviously too: lcms is not
needed to build the Hugin binary. Hence it is documented as "64-bit
Only". But as I found out, it concerns 32-bit as well.

The logical consequence would be to first define what the Hugin SDK
really is; then to update the documentation and distributed binaries
accordingly.

Ad's releases are to me the proof that the current SDK does not work. It
becomes stale quickly as upstream tools and libraries evolve.

Worse: it leaves people like Ad dependent on the next binary SDK instead
of giving them the tools and knowledge to update their SDK.

The [Hugin SDK] Wiki page should make people like Ad independent.

Hence my suggestion:

1. The [Hugin SDK] will document how to build each and every package
upstream, including further upstream dependencies (e.g. Hugin depends on
enblend; and enblend depends on lcms; hence both should be documented),
for both 32 and 64 bit.

2. Distribute the SDK in two forms: one large archive containing
everything (almost like the current one). It will become outdated, but
here comes the second distribution: archives of individual packages.
This way the faster evolving packages can be updated/distributed more often.

To achieve this, I suggest to expand on the current structure of the
[Hugin SDK]. Add/document the missing packages (currently if I try to
build enblend according to [build] instructions, I miss some bits).

For each package, note if it is:
- FIX: has not been changing for years and is unlikely to change any
time soon (e.g. GetText)
- STABLE: evolves regularly and is worth updating to the latest stable,
but is not critical (e.g. Boost)
- DYNAMIC: evolves continuously and is worth updating continuously (e.g.
ExifTool)
- DEV: is critical to bleeding edge Hugin functionality, and it is worth
following it in between releases when making test builds (e.g. libpano
or Enblend and Enfuse)

Currently there is too much confusion. There are four pages documenting
Windows builds. I would suggest integrating the information about the
[patches] into the [Hugin SDK] documentation; and extracting the
relevant information from the [incomplete] page.

In the end, there should be just two pages: one guiding the complete
newbie through a simple [build] of the DEV packages (that's Hugin,
Autopano-SIFT-C, Enfuse-Enblend, Libpano) with pre-built SDK binaries;
and one documenting how to build the *whole* [Hugin SDK] from scratch.

Yuv

[Hugin SDK] http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_SDK_%28MSVC_2008%29
[build] http://wiki.panotools.org/Build_Hugin_for_Windows_with_SDK
[patches] http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_SDK_%28MSVC_2008%29_Patches