the use of dirent.h in libpano breaks the build on Windows with MSVC. I
don't know about other compilers / platforms.

I googled for a solution and there are a few options:

1. For platform-independent directory and path handling, use the Boost
Filesystem library from www.boost.org

2. Find a port of dirent.c to Windows/MSVC

I did find <http://www.softagalleria.net/dirent.php> and
<http://www.two-sdg.demon.co.uk/curbralan/code/dirent/>

3.
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms811896.aspx#ucmgch09_topic7>
... don't even think about it

so we're left with 1 or 2; and within 2 with a few variants.

I personally would prefer the first one, because boost is well
maintained and cross plattform, but the decision is with those working
on the panotools, specifically with Daniel.

For now, the workaround for those wanting to compile and use the PT
tools in Windows is to build them using MinGW.

Yuv