Roger, Chris, Bruno,
If I understand correctly the images that Roger has identified as the
cause of the crash are:
 t3_exposure_layers_0024.tif
 t3_exposure_layers_0025.tif
and these are the images that would come out of the Nona phase of my
original project with the same numerical suffixes.  The suffixes run
from 0 to 26 for my 27x image,  9x stack project with 3x bracketed
images in each stack.  So these are the first and second image in the
9th stack!

(I had misunderstood earlier and assumed that the problematic pair
bridged the 8th and 9th stacks but if Roger's suffix-numbering matches
the numbering in the original project they are both in the 9th
stack.

Bruno,
My 8th and 9th stacks are applying exactly the method that you
mentioned for removing the photographers shadow and feet. My
misunderstanding of the numbering earlier had me thinking that that
was a problem.)

So if I correctly understand Bruno's explanation of how Hugin decides
on which images to stack/blend and which to layer/fuse ... then the
question for me is ... why was Hugin TRYING to apply Enblend these two
images?

I originally entered them with a Yaw of 0 ...  but after Optimization
they were each placed as follows:
    Yaw: -1.775  Pitch: -82.729  Roll: 39.543
    Yaw: -1.836  Pitch: -82.735  Roll: 39.621

This is nothing like Bruno's 10%  angle threshold ... So why would
Hugin apply Enblend to them?

all the best

George