On Oct 23, 1:38 pm, Yuval Levy <goo...@levy.ch> wrote:
> Zoran Zorkic wrote:
> > * run a CP generator & optimize for preliminary alignment
>
> why?
>
> > * mask areas bad for CP generation
>
> in principle this is a good idea and has been discussed a number of
> times. the last time I had a thorough discussion about it was with Tim,
> when mentoring him about Celeste.
>
> > * rerun CP generation using masks (masks being automagicaly applied to
> > the individual photos) to avoid bad CP
>
> it makes sense to *run* CP generation right away the first time using
> masks that maps out good areas / bad areas.
>
> Normally the best areas are those that don't move and are far away from
> the camera, and this does not depend on on pre-alignment - hence my
> above question, why run a CP generator & optimize for preliminary alignment?

The idea was to have as little manual work as possible. For it to be
possible you need aligned photos, but the point is to draw the mask
for all photos at once and have Hugin unwrap and apply the mask to
individual photos.
For that to work you need to have you photos aligned.
For my use case, d90+18mm+nodal ninja, that workflow would help a lot,
as I get a good alignment from the start, but have to spend a lot of
time to get perfect alignment :(