Hi all,

I have not yet implemented Lukas' suggestion (background thread) - I am
reading about background threads in wxWidgets.

I did however spend more time with the feature, and I find it helpful
with my typical settings.

No need for this on my dual core workstation, but on my 1.6GHz Pentium M
notebook with 2GB RAM and 5400 RPM HDD it gives me a better response,
especially when the input images are TIFFs.

So I added a preference checkbox (deactivated by default) and put the
updated patch in the patch tracker [0].

With the preference checkbox it is sure that it does not affect
negatively anybody. And if others have similar hardware as I do, they
may find it equally convenient. I'd like to know how it performs on a
netbook. I have an Atom based desktop but it is not functional at the
moment.

I don't know yet how much work it will be to implement the background
thread (I don't know if the current ImageCache is thread safe, and if it
is not I don't know how much effort it will be to make it thread safe).
Once I'll have an idea, I will report back here.

If it's too much effort at my current skill level I will consider
putting forward a request to integrate this in trunk as-is. If not, I
will come back with an improved patch that does the caching in the
background, sooner or later.

Yuv

[0]
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2872111&group_id=77506&atid=550443