On Wed 30-Dec-2009 at 20:32 +0000, Bruno Postle wrote:

> - match-n-shift is a control point generator wrapper that
> understands about bracketed stacks.  It has been split into two
> tools: match-n-shift still takes a list of photos, but now creates
> a .pto project with as much information as can be read from EXIF
> data; ptoanchor is the complementary tool that reads a .pto
> project and adds control points.

I'll try and explain where this is going...

A long time ago Pablo figured-out that the best interface for
passing input to a control point generator is to give it a .pto file
and for it to return the same .pto file with control points added.
This is because there is potentially a huge amount of information
that can be passed: lens parameters, stacks and positions can all be
useful for generating control points.

Up until now, the only tool that supports this interface is
autopano-sift-c, but we didn't have a tool for creating these input
.pto files.   So this is what match-n-shift now is, at its most
basic you give it a list of photos and it creates an unaligned .pto
project for those photos.  e.g. you can now select some photos in a
file manager, right-click, and instantly create a .pto project:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36383...@n00/4238784980/

This project can be used as input for autopano-sift-c, or just
open it with Hugin; Align... and Stitch...

Alternatively you can now use 'ptoanchor' to add control points to
this project.  ptoanchor actually does everything that the Hugin
Align.. button does, plus it intelligently deals with both kinds of
bracketed panoramas.

ptoanchor is just a wrapper around all sorts of other command-line
tools, it runs so many sub-processes, many of them potentially in
parallel, that is uses a Makefile and gnu 'make' to do it.  This is
analogous to the current Hugin stitching system which uses 'make' to
manage the stitching process - Actually it is so similar that it
wouldn't be difficult to plug this into the Hugin Batch Processor
and have end-to-end alignment and stitching.

So although these tools are fully usable as they are, this is
actually a prototype design for a more flexible way of dealing with
the Hugin Align step: to make it scriptable, distributable,
parallel, batchable and debuggable, but still work within the GUI as
it does now.

[more tomorrow, I ought to have blog for this stuff...]

--
Bruno