Hello,

I am involved in a project that repeats history survey images in the
Canadian Rockies (www.mountainlegacy.ca).  Generally, we find the
approximate location (like a mountain top) where the survey image has
been taken, get as close to the spot where the original image was
shot, and reshoot the composition.  Since camera/lens used are
generally unknown and differ from survey to survey we use a much wider
angular field of view than that of the original photographers, thus
our historic scene is encompassed within the boundaries of our repeat
photo.  After the repeat has been taken the final stage in processing
is to overlay the historic survey photo with the repeat.  The historic
photos, while having a smaller field of view, have a greater
resolution (pixel dimensions) than the repeat image (due to the fact
that they are scanned glass plates). Consequently, part of the overlay
process is to scale the historic image down, center (which is usually
off), and rotate so the images match as much as possible.  Our current
workflow involves manually executing these procedures in photoshop for
each pair.  However, I believe that Hugin/panotools has some real
potential in automating this process.  The key though is automatic
control point detection. I've struggled to get this to work between
the images.  Some obvious differences between the repeat and historic
image are that they contain landscape changes (trees grow, etc),
lighting can be different, skies can be cloudy, etc.  However, I'm
hoping that there are enough similarities (rock ridges) that some
control points can still be detected.  Would anyone be able to advise
some optimal control point parameters for autopano-sift or panomatic
that might get this working? Or are the cp algorithms just not cut out
for this type of work?

I've posted some downsized examples here:

 http://webhome.csc.uvic.ca/~cgat/BRI1922_B22-48_delete_smaller.jpg
http://webhome.csc.uvic.ca/~cgat/HB2_A0004037_delete.jpg
The colour image has a field of view of 67 degrees while the historic
one has a field of view of 37 degrees.

If you are interested, we use a Hasselblad H3D-39 II with the 35.8mm
HC lens.

Thanks,

Chris