Hi all,

I am having a bit of a problem understanding Hugin's vignetting
compensation. The background is that I am currently writing a software
library for image transformation (among others, but most importantly,
lens correction). However, while replicating the PTLens distortion
seems to be largely working (although Hugin does seem to do things a
little bit 'differently' there, too), the vignetting stuff is giving
me headaches.

Basically, as far as I understood it, the correction is supposed to be
done as a multiplicative factor c=1/(ar^6+br^4+c+1), and the corrected
channel value should be given as I = I0*c. So what I am currently
doing is the following, e.g. for the red channel:

c=1.0/(((a*r*r+b)*r*r+c)*r*r+1.0);
value_red = gamma(value_red);
value_red = value_red * c;
value_red = inv_gamma(value_red);

with the appropriate gamma correction functions, e.g. gamma(v)=v^2.2
and inv_gamma(v)=v^(1/2.2), or the equivalent sRGB gamma functions.

When I choose extreme values (e.g. c=-1), the values clip in the image
corners, which happens both in Hugin and in my implementation at the
same pixel position; so the coordinate system looks ok. Values near
the center are untouched, as they should be. However, the 'middle'
values do not quite match, no matter what I do. First I thought I was
not properly compensating for gamma, but after checking and re-
checking and double-checking I am pretty positive now that's not it...

Hopefully I am overlooking something obvious... or does Hugin apply
some additional correction curves, even if no photometric parameter
except the 'a' coefficient above is set?

Thanks and regards,
Robert