On 18 March 2010 09:27, Robert <robert.fe...@googlemail.com> wrote:

[snip collecting Hugin calibration data automatically]

> I do not think that this will work. First of all, a *lot* of people
> distrust software sending 'feedback' or the like to some servers
> without intervention.

It would be disabled by default. I'd suggest a checkbox in the pop-up
window that says "You have a good fit, apply?", The checkbox would say
"Submit good calibration data
to the photoroptor database?"

> Second, identifying a lens is not trivial and
> very often requires at least some minimal amount of user input. Not to
> mention adapted lenses (no EXIF data at all) and 'new' lenses that are
> not yet present in the database.

If the metadata isn't sufficient to identify a lens/camera combination
then by definition automatic lens correction isn't going to work.
Ignore these photos and let the users cope with the problem as they do
already - Concentrate on problems that can be solved.

--
Bruno