HI Harry,
I was able to download from source forge the enblend 4.0 version which
contains both enblend-openmp and enfuse-opnemp which run in openmp and
as 64bit.  In you svn 5102 which is 32 bit kernal in the preferences
area of Hugin I was able to specify that an alternate version of
enblend (or enfuse) be used.  It worked great.  I was able to run an
almost 100 image 12 mp/image pano.  Activity monitor said real memory
and virtual memory both peaked at about 12GB.  So clearly there were
no out of memory problems.  The output was an a nice uncompressed >
3GB TIF.
Thanks for the pointers toward 64 bit enblend.
Battle