On 5 June 2010 13:40, markku.kol...@iki.fi <markku.kol...@iki.fi> wrote:

> OpenMP isn't supported in the Express edition of VisualC++, you need
> at least the Professional version to use it:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hs24szh9%28VS.100%29.aspx
> This will cause problems for Windows users that want/need to compile
> Hugin.
>
> --
>    Markku Kolkka
>    markku.kol...@iki.fi

I think this is a valid reason not to use OpenMP.

On 5 June 2010 14:24, Yuv <goo...@levy.ch> wrote:
> Hugin depends on Enblend which in turn depends on OpenMP, so you would
> not be adding an extra dependency.

But you don't have to compile enblend yourself. You can compile hugin
but use enblend binary downloaded somewhere else. Moreover as Harry
pointed out it's not enabled by default.

> Bottom line: the decision to use OpenMP or boost::thread should IMHO
> be driven purely by performance considerations and not by the free-
> ride consideration of MSVC Express vs. Professional.

I can do some tests but my guess that the speed difference will be
minimal. Computation demands certainly overweights possible overhead
in both OpenMP and boost:thread.

Thank you all for your opinions!

Lukas