Harry,

Thank you again and again for all the work you do keeping hugin up to
date and for your rapid response. I hope your vacation is great.

I am using build 2010.1.0.38ed0587798b. I unchecked the use
alternative enblend program box. Everything in my hugin preferences is
per defaults except I use spline 36. When I attempted the stitch that
turned out so slow I did so from within hugin in the stitching pane. I
just now typed the command line invocation you suggested and I get :

enblend 4.0-753b534c819d

Extra feature: dmalloc support: no
Extra feature: image cache: no
Extra feature: GPU acceleration: yes
  - ATI Technologies Inc.
  - ATI Radeon X1600 OpenGL Engine
  - version 2.0 ATI-1.6.16
  - extensions
    GL_ARB_transpose_matrix  GL_ARB_vertex_program
GL_ARB_vertex_blend
    GL_ARB_window_pos  GL_ARB_shader_objects  GL_ARB_vertex_shader
    GL_ARB_shading_language_100  GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays
GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint
    GL_EXT_rescale_normal  GL_EXT_draw_range_elements
GL_EXT_fog_coord
    GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters  GL_EXT_geometry_shader4
GL_EXT_transform_feedback
    GL_APPLE_client_storage  GL_APPLE_specular_vector
GL_APPLE_transform_hint
    GL_APPLE_packed_pixels  GL_APPLE_fence
GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object
    GL_APPLE_vertex_program_evaluators  GL_APPLE_element_array
GL_APPLE_flush_render
    GL_APPLE_aux_depth_stencil  GL_NV_texgen_reflection
GL_NV_light_max_exponent
    GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip  GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap  GL_ARB_imaging
    GL_ARB_point_parameters  GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar
GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp
    GL_ARB_multitexture  GL_ARB_texture_env_add
GL_ARB_texture_cube_map
    GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3  GL_ARB_multisample
GL_ARB_texture_env_combine
    GL_ARB_texture_compression  GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat
GL_ARB_shadow
    GL_ARB_depth_texture  GL_ARB_shadow_ambient
GL_ARB_fragment_program
    GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow  GL_ARB_fragment_shader
GL_ARB_occlusion_query
    GL_ARB_point_sprite  GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two
GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object
    GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object  GL_ARB_draw_buffers
GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod
    GL_ARB_half_float_vertex  GL_ARB_texture_rg
GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array
    GL_EXT_framebuffer_object  GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit
GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample
    GL_EXT_texture_rectangle  GL_ARB_texture_rectangle
GL_EXT_texture_env_add
    GL_EXT_blend_color  GL_EXT_blend_minmax  GL_EXT_blend_subtract
    GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias  GL_EXT_abgr  GL_EXT_bgra
    GL_EXT_stencil_wrap  GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic
GL_EXT_separate_specular_color
    GL_EXT_secondary_color  GL_EXT_blend_func_separate
GL_EXT_shadow_funcs
    GL_EXT_stencil_two_side  GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc
GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1
    GL_EXT_texture_sRGB  GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate
GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp
    GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil  GL_EXT_provoking_vertex
GL_APPLE_flush_buffer_range
    GL_APPLE_ycbcr_422  GL_APPLE_rgb_422  GL_APPLE_vertex_array_range
    GL_APPLE_texture_range  GL_APPLE_float_pixels
GL_ATI_texture_float
    GL_ARB_texture_float  GL_ARB_half_float_pixel
GL_APPLE_pixel_buffer
    GL_APPLE_object_purgeable  GL_NV_blend_square  GL_NV_fog_distance
    GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once  GL_ATI_blend_equation_separate
GL_ATI_blend_weighted_minmax
    GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3  GL_ATI_separate_stencil
GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc
    GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp  GL_SGIS_texture_lod
GL_SGI_color_matrix
    GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra  GL_ARB_instanced_arrays

Extra feature: OpenMP: yes
  - version 2005-5
  - support for nested parallelism;
    nested parallelism disabled by default
  - support for dynamic adjustment of the number of threads;
    dynamic adjustment disabled by default
  - using 2 processors and up to 2 threads

Supported image formats: BMP EXR GIF HDR JPEG PNG PNM SUN TIFF VIFF
Supported file extensions: bmp exr gif hdr jpeg jpg pbm pgm png pnm
ppm ras tif tiff xv

Supported following globbing algorithms:
  literal
    Do not glob.  Treat filenames as literals.
  none
    Do not glob.  Treat filenames as literals. (alias)
  sh
    Glob like UN*X shells do.  Like "wildcard" plus '{', '}', and
'~'.  See glob(7). (alias)
  shell
    Glob like UN*X shells do.  Like "wildcard" plus '{', '}', and
'~'.  See glob(7).
  wildcard
    Glob with wildcards '?', '*', '[', and ']'.  See glob(7).

Compiled on Antares-6.local by Harry van der Wolf on Sun, Jun 27 2010,
22:58:17.

Copyright (C) 2004-2009 Andrew Mihal.
License GPLv2+: GNU GPL version 2 or later <http://www.gnu.org/
licenses/gpl.html>

Written by Andrew Mihal and others.

When I invoke the sourceforge downloaded enblend similarly I get
exactly the same thing

Therefore something is awry with using enblend from within hugin.