Am 13.09.2010 15:52, schrieb Yuval Levy:

Processing PSD layers is the default behavior of most modern
applications so why should the default for TIFF layers be different?

Because these are no layers. Layers always have the same resolution and
bit depth. TIFF pages don't. Gimp uses TIFF pages as layers, most other
programs use them to store preview images. It is honorable that a
feature is implemented to make it easier for the gimp users.
Unfortunately this was a step back for most other users.

Would you suggest that in order to keep backward compatibility and
*"ease of use"* any application importing PSD files should default
to import the background layer only?

Most application actually show the "full resolution composite" only,
since they won't interpret photoshop layer logic.

You have write access to the repo. Nobody prevents you from branching
out and improving on 3.2 if you think so negatively of 4.0.

You know very well that I'm not able to. All I can do is report bugs. And probably you also know that I don't ask for myself. Be assured, I always find a workaround if I need to. I'm asking because of my droplets. It's annoying to always tell people that I can't help them because their problem is a quirk in enfuse, enblend or one of the other command line utilities.

And it's even more annoying when I'm told here: "Improve yourself if you want it" or "Beta cycle is closed, you must live with what you got" when I hadn't the chance to test because there was no windows build. Oh, well, I just tried one more time and I got the same answer as always. Believe me, this doesn't encourage to contribute more. Sad...

And, BTW, (because you mentioned it here): A high security password does absolutely nothing to prevent spamming. Or do you think a spammer won't be able to type such a password?

--
Erik Krause
http://www.erik-krause.de