I have started trying to get everything together I need for my hugin/
minGW attempt. This worked fine until I came to try and compile the
OpenEXR code [typically this was the last biggish packet on the list].
This code seems to depend on another library, ilmbase. Now ilmbase
won't compile until it has POSIX threads. I downloaded pthreads-w32
and tried to coax the libilm configure into accepting pthread-w32's
output, but to no avail. I keeps telling me that

checking for the pthreads library -lpthreads... no
checking whether pthreads work without any flags... no
checking whether pthreads work with -Kthread... no
checking whether pthreads work with -kthread... no
checking for the pthreads library -llthread... no
checking whether pthreads work with -pthread... no
checking whether pthreads work with -pthreads... no
checking whether pthreads work with -mthreads... no
checking for the pthreads library -lpthread... no
checking whether pthreads work with --thread-safe... no
checking whether pthreads work with -mt... no
checking for pthread-config... no
configure: error: POSIX thread support required

and fails. My coaxing went so that I made some links from pthread-
w32's output to where I think libilm should expect to find them:

ln pthreadGC2.dll /usr/local/lib/pthread.dll
ln libpthreadGC2.a /usr/local/lib/libpthread.a

for good measure, I also put links into the other /lib and /bin
directories, but to no avail...

Alternatively, I tried to compile the libilm code without threading,
by configuring it like:

./configure --enable-threading=no --disable-posix-sem

which at least makes the configure run through, but then subsequently
the make fails.
Has anyone been there? and then done what?

momentarily stalled
KFJ