Thanks. I've given this a try using hugin, and it comes out like this:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B-K2H3Sd_z9AZWNiNzNiOTgtNWNhZC00NzIxLTgzMDItZDBiMWY4NTk5ZGMz&hl=en

Which is interestingly different from the previous one - not sure
which I like better.

A few tips on using hugin to do this instead of PTGui:

- basically just adapt the instructions on the page you told me about
( http://wiki.panotools.org/Unusual_remappings - section headed
'orientation plate' )
- you need to go to the 'camera and lens' tab of hugin and select your
cylindrical panorama image to set the vertical shift parameter you've
calculated.
- choose rectilinear projection in the stitcher tab.
- then open the panorama preview window and press 'center', then
'update'.
- then in the stitcher tab, do 'calculate field of view', then
increase both values by about 5 degrees to make sure the whole image
gets included.
- then press calculate optimal size
- select 'remapped images' only, under 'Normal' output.
- press stitch now.

Thanks for your help. :-)