Hi kfj,

Am 04.03.2011 10:23, schrieb kfj:
On 3 Mrz., 19:26, Pablo d'Angelo<pablo.dang...@web.de>  wrote:

 But just throwing in a new free lunch feature without
documentation for everyone to figure out how it works by trial and
error isn't what I consider good style. For example, it took me quite
a while to figure out that to see any effect of the grey picker at
all, I had to remove the 'photometric' check mark in the preview. It
looks a bit like a quick shot to me.

I haven't tested the gray picker yet, so I can't comment the ease of use.

Having to fix 8 bit images with a second application of a "curves tool"
will degrade the image quality, if 8 bit images are used.

I agree, and, sadly, 16bit isn't yet an option for everyone and
increases processing time and memory use considerably. The resulting
degradation from successive processing steps may become quite
noticable. So there's another good feature waiting: how about an
option to convert to 16 bit on input and/or convert to 8 bit on
output?  Or am I missing something here?

All the internal processing during remapping is done in floating point, so no need to convert 8 bit to 16 bit before input. The only drawback is that enblend will work on the 8 bit images.

When I process my 16bit TIFFs
with hugin, I'd quite like to be able to get 8bit TIFF out, but it
seems like I can only store in 16bit.

I think that on the pto file level, the output bit depth can be specified, but I don't remember if the up or down casting done there is useful for your workflow.

Second, I haven't found any free image processing application performs
white balancing as good as hugin. That said, a gimp or other plugin with
the same algorithm would be nice ;-)

You seem to imply that hugin uses a special white balacing algorithm.
I always thought white balance was merely putting a linear scaling
factor on the magnitudes of the red and blue channel compared to
green.

Other tools might do this. For a RAW converter this makes sense, but not for already processed photos, such as JPEGs. Try adjusting the color balance of a JPEG using linear scaling in GIMP or some other software. I found that nearly impossible without introducing various color distortions (not only related due to the missing dynamic range). Hugin estimates the camera response curve, much like proper HDR tools do, and respects that during white balance adjustments, see the paper at http://hugin.sourceforge.net/tech/ for more details.

And, while asking for documentation, is the openGL preview considering
the colour profile of the monitor, and does it do so an all platforms,
be it via the OS or by itself? Otherwise white balancing would merely
make the image look nice on that particular screen in the hugin
preview.

As far as I know, hugin is ignorant of color profiles, other than passing them through. It would be nice to have a calibrated workflow, but this doesn't mean that tools for color balancing (and especially a gray picker) are completely useless.

ciao
 Pablo