On Friday, March 4, 2011 6:27:13 PM UTC-5, kfj wrote:

> On 4 Mrz., 20:36, xraycrystallographer
> <xraycrysta...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > One thing that I remain “fuzzy” on is the optimization process using
> > the control points.  From my playing around it appears that an
> > increase in the number of control points results in a better fit of
> > the i

> Let's put it this way: if you're working with a good panorama head, a
> well-calibrated lens and make no mistakes, you can get away with as
> little as two control points per image, because then you just have to
> nudge the correct data into the right spot.
>
> If you're using an uncalibrated lens freehand, generating lots of
> control points may give you what looks like a better fit, but in fact
> it's just massaging your data within the degrees of freedom the
> mathematical model permits. It's cheeting - but you may get away with
> it.
>
> ...snip
>
> Kay

This helps!  I think this means that I need to do an accurate lens
calibration--I assume
the instructions in the tutorial are still valid?  I am in the process of
building a
panorama head (based on a theodolite base) and recognize how important
camera position is.  This brings up another question.  With my home-built
panorama head I can read the yaw to better than 30" of a degree.  I note
that in general the scatter in the yaw angles differs by quite a bit more
than I would expect--some times +/- 1degree or more from the actual angle.
Would I be better off fixing the yaw at the set angle? I realize there is
probably some slop in things like the lens fitting on the camera etc., etc.,
etc., but I should be able to fix most of these.

I should point out that the stitching errors are already quite small.  I
have taken several 45+ image panoramas and have to really magnify to see the
small glitches.  I am probably just being too picky!  The reason I need the
accuracy is that I am trying to convert 2D spherical panos to 3D anaglyphs
(see
http://xraycrystallographer.blogspot.com/2011/03/new-courthouse-imagej.html).
I have to do a significant amount of editing masks in order to do so, so I
try for the best possible starting point!

Thanks again for the info.

John