Hi Cristian,

On August 16, 2011 02:42:03 am cri wrote:
> I also would like to rework the layout and graphics of the website

Thanks.  That's sorely needed.  I've been just fixing the current layout for a
(slow) start, making the HTML more CSS-designable.

I like what you did with GNUcash.  It is true to the original site in spirit
and form.  It is an elegant remake in 2010 style of a 1990 site.  I recognize
the same site, matured and evolved, easier on the eye.

> (in the long period) so I'm here to ask a way to experiment with the
> website without braking the actual one. Do I have to create a branch?
> is there a kind of beta repo for the website where I could work?

Yes, please do branch.  I think you can use the existing repository.  If I am
not mistaken Bruno's scripts that sync the live website from the repo will
keep syncing the default branch, so what you do on the development branch will
not affect the live website itself.

IIRC we are more or less maxed-out on our webspace use on SF but we can look
for an alternative to sync your development branch with an alternate webspace
to show work in progress until it is deemed fit to replace the current
website.  If I am not mistaken, you get some user website space with your
SourceForge account (/home/project-web/<USER>.u/), but I have never tried to
use it.

I plan to replace the current pull sync (the live site is synced by a cron
job) with a push sync using Hg post-commit hooks once I get around SF's
permissions and file system layout (I already have it working on servers I
control).  It will make the updates practically instant and it will save on
resources and dependencies (no need to run a separate server with cron jobs).

> While in the process I would also like to make the website
> translatable via gettext.

Why via gettext?  I am not familiar with the use of gettext for translating
website and am interested to hear the pros and cons.  Given SF's limited
resources, I would not want to introduce more server-side dynamics (PHP) than
strictly necessary and since the texts are static we do not need to waste CPU
cycles on looking up and replacing strings dynamically, which is my
understanding of how gettext works.  What is wrong with static translations of
HTML documents?

> I've never done this before so I will try to learn it during the process.

We can all learn from each other while Hugin progresses.

> I've implemented a webpage that retrieve a random photo from flickr

I have left the most critical part of my feedback to the end because I wanted
to first show you that your work is appreciated and that I am aware of the
need to improve that website.  But...

... I find the introduction of a Flick dependecy for such an important part of
the website a very bad idea.

Yuv