On Sunday, 14 August 2011 at 15:11:17 -0400, Yuval Levy wrote:

Sorry, just got round to reading this thread.

> On August 14, 2011 05:47:43 am kfj wrote:
>
>> If, of course, we'd find that in certain use scenarios one definitely
>> outshines the other, this would be helpful. Not that I expect this to
>> happen
>
> I also do not expect this to happen, but if we don't collect
> information we won't find out.  And it is often such borderline
> cases that help the next iteration of development that eventually
> brings about a third generation tool that is superior to both the
> first and second generation.

FWIW, I have a scenario where I find that the control point generators
generate very different control points from the ones I choose myself
when I'm doing it manually.  Every week I make a number of panoramas,
the most complicated of which is at http://tinyurl.com/3mcw2bb

This is a two-row 360° panorama made out of 24 images, each
tone-mapped from three images.  The subject has both straight lines
and corners (timber) and soft transitions (leaves and other
vegetation).  The leaves can move both between individual tone-mapped
images and also between the background images for each tone-mapped
images.  The timber stays where it is.

But all the CP generators I have tried go for the leaves.  That's a
particular problem when it's windy.  When I do it manually, I choose a
spot or a corner on the timber, and things work much better.

Clearly there's a reason why the CP generators make this kind of
choice, but I don't understand it.  Are there some technical reasons
why it's done this way?  Or are there generators that do choose hard
surfaces?

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer