I've had a thought - since I'm going to go through the hell of compiling
hugin (i'm not complaining - only being honest - ;) I thought, why don't I
create a package for distribution? Won't that make everyone's life easier?

on the wiki page it says this:
"

Moreover, it is likely that your environment is not clean enough for
distribution builds. In that case, and to produce binaries for other Ubuntu
series than the one you are running, you will want to set up a dchroot
environment (to be documented later on).
 "However, I'm running a completely fresh install of Ubuntu. So my
environment is clean enough... right? :)

thanks,
Jeffrey