Have a look at Xbox (and maybe PS3 - not sure if these still let you run
Linux) clusters. Lots of people are going to be building clusters using
Raspberry Pi's when they go on sale hopefully later this month (700Mhz
ARM/Linux machines for ~$25). Whether or not you get the performance you're
after, it'd be a fun project putting something like that together. I have
quite a lot of experience with Sun Grid Engine on very large/expensive
compute clusters and Hugin jobs run fine.

Tim