I am very much NOT an expert in either Hugin or astronomical photography,
so consider that in reading the following.

I believe that except for near bodies like planets the images are primarily
different due to rotation.  The amount of the rotation for a long sequence
in time will be considerable.  The amount of rotation can be readily
calculated from the time stamp of the image.  If you preprocess the images
to reverse the rotation so that they are all at least nearly aligned, then
I would expect your Hugin processing to be more successful.  I believe you
could do this with a program like ImageMagik (  www.*imagemagick*.org.
You may need first to increase the size of the canvas so that the real
portion of the image does not get cropped when the image's corner rotates
off the initial canvas.

HTH,
JK