Bruno (I'm pretty sure it was Bruno) pointed this technique out to me last
year and I use it all the time now.

I wasn't aware of the '-l 29' tip though. Can you explain this Bruno? (or
someone?)

I have read that it specifies the pyramid blending levels, but I don't know
what that means (or what pyramid blending is, what the default number of
levels is (beyond, "as many as possible,") or what the implication of using
more or fewer leves is :-! )
I assume it helps the blending in some way (reduced smearing perhaps? or to
limit the time spent trying to blend what is essentially an un-blendable
area?)  Is the parameter used only for the last blend (blending the patches
to the rest of the already blended panorama) or is it used to blend the
whole panorama at once?

In any case. I have used this technique a lot in partial panoramas (what I
mostly shoot.) And I do it without using that parameter (I'll have to
experiment.) I usually use it to patch regular areas or surfaces like sky
or a wall, but it also works pretty well with more textured surfaces like
grass or water (like a lake or ocean surface.) I've even used it for brick
walls. It's also handy for moving things slightly to get a nicer
composition.

For example, in this
image<http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnpwatkins/6391887097/in/set-72157628118365061/lightbox/>
was able to move the top edge up a bit by patching in sky in the upper L
corner and near the upper R corner. To do that, I also moved the edge of
the cabin awning (in the UR corner) up several inches and patched the sky
below it. If I hadn't done this, cropping to eliminate the missing areas of
the image would have made it awkward looking, detracting from an otherwise
pretty nice image. (BTW, this isn't the final image (still has some mask
and blend problems I've since fixed, but I have been to lazy to update it!)