Dear Tony.
If you "save" the panorama, hugin saves the state you left it in, e.g. it saves
control points, alignment, photometric optimization and other stuff in the PTO
file.
To get an output image file, your desired panorama, you need to either do all
the three points in the assistant tab, including "3. Create panorama". Then
PTBatcher should open and render your panorama. Or you go to the stitcher tab
and press the "Stitch!" button in the lower right corner.
If that doesn't help, your installation might be missing something, but without
a logfile or an error-message it's a bit hard to help you.
David