> I thought linefind silently failing on 16-bit tiffs had been fixed?

After the fix the example you provided at groups.google.com/group/
hugin-ptx/browse_thread/thread/65b9f0b4b3f24cd0 did work for me. There
was no feedback, so the issue was solved for me. But instead of
testing, you did nagging with the issue in nearly all threads of the
last days. This is the first feedback after more than a half year to
the fix.
So please test again and provide more and new details (maybe with a
further example, because the example you provided works for me)