> Indeed.  This is what has been puzzling me.  There are two different 8
> mm fisheyes available for Olympus: the relatively expensive 8 mm f/3.5
> from Olympus, and the 8 mm f/3.5 from various rebadgers (Bower,
> Samyang, Rokinon).  The former costs about $800 and has a full 180°
> diagonal angle of view.  The latter costs about $300, and from the
> specs state an angle of 139.3° on Four Thirds.  From what I've read it
> will only give a full diagonal 180° on APS-C cameras.

I feel like the full 180° *diagonal* angle of view from Olympus and the
139.5° (as it's not specified it should be horizontal, which is what is
normally used) from Bower ends up being almost the same (you computed for a
fullframe fisheye 144°)

> Since my last message I've been reading a bit about fisheyes, and it
> seems that, like Hugin, there are various projections.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Fisheye_lens&action=edit&section=12
> gives some information, though I'm still trying to digest it.

Each lens displays what it "sees", and there are usually distortions
compared to reality. So even with "normal" non fisheye / non very wide
angles, you have distortions. Those distortions are directly linked to the
way the lens is built, and thus different lenses with the same FOV will
have different distortions (even if they are not really noticeable).

>  At least one of the images appears to show a horizontal angle of more
> than 180°.  If anybody knows more details, I'd be interested.

For me a real fisheye lens should have at least a diagonal of 180° for FF,
or a full 180° circle for circular (or at least quite close to 180°). It's
possible that some vendors use the term fisheye just because of the look of
the pictures you can take.
Note also that some lenses have an angle of more than 180° (there's the
huge Nikkor 6mm with a 220° angle, meaning you starts seeing what's behind
you! Or the full frame fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm made for small sensors, but
that actually has an angle of a little bit more than 180° when used on a
full frame camera).