Great explanation! :-)

And it's so much easier to understand than e.g.
http://wiki.panotools.org/Diffraction#Resolution
http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_Preferences#Auto_align

This reminded me of something similarly elegant, the "compression haiku" by Bradford Bohonus, posted a long time ago on the PanotoolsNG list (<http://www.panotools.org/mailarchive/msg/66853#msg66853>):

 It's the trees the trees
 bringing jpeg to its knees
 shoot in the desert

 my high I S O