Hmm, I shoot 16-bit/channel RAW files (both for HDR and non-HDR stuff). Process them into similarly 16-bit/channel TIFFs that I then stitch and/or align using Hugin. At the end of the process, I have 16-bit/channel TIFFs. No values being "clamped" to 8-bit anywhere in the chain or the final output. Puzzled where you get that idea ...

I used to do the image swap trick you mention in 1 (below), when Hugin's vertical line fine was unable to function on 16-bit/channel TIFFs. I'd generate a set of 16-bit TIFFs, then generate a set of 8-bit TIFFs in a separate folder. Then I'd use the 8-bit TIFFs to create and finalize the Hugin project. Then I'd copy the resulting PTO file into the folder with the 16-bit TIFFs, and either stitch it, or reoptimize exposure and then stitch.

I do believe Hugin has a way to merge different exposures into a single image. I've done it but don't presently recall how.