The affordances of the current UI design aren't as obvious as those of the 2012 UI. I think it assumes some moderately-sophisticated "GUI user experience" on the part of the user.

I also think it's still in transition, so I expect it will keep changing for awhile.

I hope someday to see the GL/Fast Panorama view as the one main window, with an (optional) menu bar along the top to make access obvious (the way the present tabs do), but also making extensive use of right-clicking on elements within the view to access specifics. But I've liked graphic apps without minimalistic UIs ever since I met Targa TIPS 25 years ago ...