I agree with David, get as much RAM as you can afford and your system will
allow. As for the number of cores, I'm of the opinion that more cores are
better, even if they're a little slower. Honestly, when you consider the
speeds modern processors run at and the relatively small amount of work
CPFind/Hugin/Enblend have to do, the CPU frequency doesn't matter that
much. It would matter if you were doing calculations on humongous amounts
of data that take hours or days to complete. Other things to consider a
CPU, beyond the clock frequency, are: cache size (the more the better, the
amount of cache is one feature that distinguishes Intel's server chips from
their desktop chips), how much energy it consumes, whether integrated
graphics is important to you (I'm not a big gamer, so having an external
graphics card isn't very important to me), or overclocking, support for
virtualization (I like to experiment with virtual machines, so this was
important to me), and other nifty feature in some Intel chips such as
wireless display (but you have to have an adapter for your tv), or vPro.
Sorry, I probably just made the process of buying a CPU a little more
difficult for you, didn't I?

Your OS will always be handling dozens of processes at a time, so the more
cores your system has, the better the OS can distribute them (at least in
theory :)

-Jeff
I meant for my last message to be posted as a reply on the forum instead of
directly to you. I clicked the wrong button, I guess. Would you mind
posting it? It appears I don't have access to it anymore.

-Jeff

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/ea4ba9af-d462-454d-b1b6-af430b664cae%40googlegroups.com.