I have little problem stitching full 360 panoramas, or horizontal partial
panoramas, however when I try to stitch four landscape mode photographs
that align vertically, the automated solution from Hugin 2013 gives me a
full 360 width when the correct horizontal fov is that for a 50mm lens. I
know I could solve the problem by rotating all my images before I do the
stitch and then rotate the result, but that seems inelegant.  I am a
painter, often working on scenes in front of very high mountains, so when I
want to show my work in context, I often shoot 3 or 4 horizontal images
that align vertically. cpfind generates the control points correctly.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/825dae79-34fe-4d54-9be3-3c02ba073751%40googlegroups.com.