On 10/30/2015 09:09 PM, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
I've just upgraded from 2012.0.0 to 2015.0.0, and I'm having
unexpected difficulties: the control point detectors "don't work".

My understanding is that I should now use the fast preview window to
access the Assistant tab.  Fine, add the images, and it goes off,
tries to align, and comes back with a message that it has not found
any control points, and that I should create control points using the
Control Points tab.  But there's no way to do that!  I assume this
should refer to the Photos tab.  So I go there and try again.  Both
CPFind and Panomatic find good control points, but the distances are
in the order of 700 or so: all the images are on top of each other.

While investigating this problem, I've come across a number of things
that are not the reason:

- This happens in the same way with 2013.0.0, so it's not a new
   problem.
- This happens under both Microsoft and FreeBSD, so it's not an OS
   problem.
- It happens with almost all images I have tried, so it's not a lens
   or camera problem.

This is something so basic that I'm completely baffled.  Any ideas?

I can provide sample images if anybody cares, but until proof of the
contrary, I'm assuming that I'm making some basic blunder.

Greg

Hmm, after you upgraded, did you go to File > Preferences > Control Point Detectors and click on Load Defaults? IIRC, that's the usual recommendation.

I've been using 2015.0.0 on Aptosid (Debian Sid) for quite a while now, and the few times it failed to find control points is usually when I've cleverly shot one frame very focused and the next frame very unfocused.

The Control points tab isn't in the Fast Preview Window, it's in the first Hugin window. I have mine set for the Expert interface, I don't remember if both of the non-expert interfaces show that tab, but I'd expect them to.

--
David W. Jones
gnomeno...@gmail.com