Bruno, thanks for the quick reply!   Two separate questions here, I now
think.

> >I wonder whether the order of the images makes a difference (these are
> >top-to-bottom, a column at a time, whereas before I've always done
> >left-to-right, a row at a time)?
>
> Hugin does assume rows by default (you can change this in the preferences
> window).

I looked before and just had another look -- where in Preferences does one
change this?  I would have thought Hugin would need this in other to make a
sensible initial display of the loaded images (at present it shows a
strange patchwork).  Also, perhaps, if Hugin was told how the images were
arranged it could speed up the alignment process.

> It should be able to cope with up-down patterns just as well as
> left-right, and zig-zag arrangements should work as well.
>
> Unless there are gaps or featureless areas, like blue sky, it's difficult
> to say what the problem is, can you upload a sample somewhere?

Ah, thanks, that has prompted me to do some more experiments.  I can
process more than half the images without problems, but there are indeed 4
(of the 72) that are featureless white sky (necessarily/deliberately
overexposed), and the 'unconnected groups' messages appear when they are
part of the selected source images.

I'm not sure what to do in this case: I am invited to add control points,
but there can be none?.

I've uploaded the rightmost 4 columns (24 JPGs) as a sample that 'fails'
(and also shows the less-than-ideal initial display of images),
at http://speleotrove.com/testpan.zip -- any suggestions on how to proceed
would be much appreciated!

Mike

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/c739631e-7d93-45eb-9ee1-32a2d4e95add%40googlegroups.com.