On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 02:25:04PM -0800, Jeff Burns wrote:

> I have been working with this image for days, but cannot get a clean
> stitch. I have small misalignments.   When I took the pictures the camera
> was mounted on a regular ballhead so there is some parallax error.
>
> Would a different optimization strategy solve the problem?
>
> Is there a workable post processing strategy to fix the errors?
>
> If I retook the pictures with a fixture that allows the camera to rotate
> around the zero parallax point, would the problems go away?
>
> Jeff

For the types of small misalignments that I see in this image, a nodal
rotator would be the best fix. I built one myself and spent a while
adjusting it to align properly with my camera.

I've also developed a bunch of strategies for how to deal with these
issues. The biggest one is try to get the main subject(s) entirely in
frame & in focus in at least one shot. It can be maddening to have a
seam going down a main focal point because it just happened to land
in between two shots.

Also (though it doesn't really help for your particular picture), if
there are areas of low contrast (white walls, unpatterned carpet, etc.),
you can force your seams to happen in those areas by using include and
exclude regions. I've found using exclude regions is gentler, since an
include region essentially translates to an exclude region on every
other image that touches that same region. By leaving some of the
low-contrast areas from both images in the seam area and making the
high-contrast areas appear in only one image, enblend is forced to put
the seams in the low-contrast areas where they are less noticable.

--Sean

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/20151223035407.GA2353%40wheatley.ludlow.local.