There is/was a command line switch to enable DEFLATE, but for some reason
it's commented out in the source code and I didn't leave myself a note to
tell me why.

As for enblend, it's hard to say whether it's a bug, but it might be.
Enblend produces different outputs if you supply images in a different
order - one reason I wrote multiblend - but I think that's more like a
slightly unsatisfactory compromise than a bug.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/42a0bf5e-a868-4e22-86f3-4da731327113%40googlegroups.com.