The problem is that there is no rectangular (planar) projection available
in Hugin.
It is different from rectilinear.
Rectilinear projection preserves straight lines, but does not preserve
straight angles.
Rectangular does not preserve areas, but preserves straight lines and
angles.
The adjustment of partial images is based on control points, as always,
but it is done by rotating and resizing images.
Field of view is discarded because scans may have different pixel size and
they are not related to any lens field of view.

If you have an Android device, you may try Bimostitch or Mapstitch, that
use the planar (rectangular) projection.
Bimostitch is better because it does not blend images (you can select
between matching or blending).

For Windows you may try ArcSoft Scan-n-Stitch Deluxe, but it is very
limited and outdated.
All images must be the same pixel sizes and it often fails even with 2 rows
map, because correction of misplaced control points is not available in
this software.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/c194acad-6521-422d-a096-8c2fa8fa36b3%40googlegroups.com.