Hi,

I have a been looking at the enblend problem that is described here
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/enblend/+bug/721136) a bit more.

In all examples that I know of, the problem is that the seamline(s)
run(s) slightly outside of the overlap area.  As a result, pixels are
included from one image which lie outside the image's area, or in a
transparent area (which apparently is not invalid but black).  This
problem can occur for NFT and GC, becomes less frequent with fine and/or
optimise but can occur with any combination.

An obvious example is the result (1) with seamlines (2) which is
generated from the example files I have added to the above thread.  This
particular example uses coarse/no-opt/gc.

If I understand the relevant algorithms correctly, this problem could
be/should be caught in three different places:
1) Neither GC nor NFT should return a seamline outside the overlap
2) the seamline optimisation should return only seams inside the
overlapping region
3) the blending should not assume out-of-bound or transparent pixels to
be black but either transparent or take a pixel from the other picture.

Which brings me to my question:  Do you have any opinion on where this
problem should be fixed?  I would assume fixing 3) is the easiest and
safest.  On the other hand, seamlines outside the overlap area, produced
by 1) or 2) entirely refute the point of finding a good seamline to
begin with (leading to poor quality).  So maybe one should treat this
problem in all three places (four actually, because GC, NFT, opt, blending)?

cheers, lukas

(1) http://78.46.190.157:8080/foo.tif
(2) http://78.46.190.157:8080/vis-1.tif