Thanks Mike. That solved this long standing Catalina hanging problem for me.

Specifically for me, allowing the “Full Disk Access” Privacy setting for Hugin
results in Hugin showing up as allowed in the “Files and Folders” Privacy list.
Hugin was not previously in the “Files and Folders” Privacy list and the +/-
controls for that list remained dimmed regardless of the administrator’s
padlock status. PTBatcherGUI was already in the Files and Folders” Privacy list
with checked options for "Removable Volumes" and "Desktop Folder”. Adding Hugin
eliminated the hang. I could reinstate the hang by unchecking Hugin in the
“Full Disk Access” Privacy setting.

I guess these Privacy settings can be controlled by OS X compile options.
Perhaps that is what is missing in the OS X compile.